Thursday, August 21, 2008

Opinion, please?


Okay.... I'm stumped. We've torn a wall down between the dining room and kitchen, laid wood flooring in the dining room and now I'm "decorating" above the kitchen cabinets.

I've never considered decorating a strong trait of mine. There are other things I can do better than this but I'm trying to learn. So I'm hoping you'll weigh in with your thoughts! Please.... :-)

I bought this (rectangular thing above my cabinets) at Hobby Lobby and can return it for 60 days so there's no loss either way. I was looking for a few items that would tie together lots of colors/textures and am struggling. This is a floor lamp that I turned on it's side. The tops of my cabinets need something and Joseph and I are really becoming minimalists. Ultimately we'll sell this house so I don't want to sink great amounts of money or time into the decorations. The light is off, but it looks basically the same with the light on except my iPhone camera doesn't capture the glow very well so it's off in this picture.

What do you think? Return the light? Do something completely different? Leave the space blank? Center it differently? Add greenery? Hire a decorator? Oh, I should add that I'd like to do this inexpensively- so I'm guessing that means the decorator is out. I feel little attachment to this home but we'd still like to make it look nice.

I'd love your input. -- Suz

**Yes, that is a bottle of rum in the picture. And, NO, I'm not hitting the bottle before 5 on a Thursday. Really, it just happened to be in the picture! Don't get me wrong.... I'd like to but ...

2 comments:

Andrea Scott said...

I don't know. I am not really digging the rectangular thing. You could do almost anything up there. Do you have any collections? I have seen people do anything from old sewing machines to old cameras and books...Just a thought. I have also seen greenery with white twinkle lights, and that looks cute. Just a thought.:)

Joe and Martha said...

I like the rum, nice touch. Well I'm not a minimalists but I like things simple. I can clutter it without any help. I like the light. It takes up a lot of space without having a bunch of stuff up there and it is different. I think though you need to emphasis the pitch of the ceiling which makes your kitchen feel bigger. I would keep it simple and just use more greenery. Maybe a little on top like a grape vine but mostly on that side that the ceiling is so high. And maybe put the wooden tray, basket and pitcher on the end of the light with the greenery in and around the stuff.