Monday, August 11, 2008

Branson isn't just for old people?

I never cared for Branson much when I was in college at College of the Ozarks. I associated it with old people (sorry old people), slow traffic, working retail jobs and shows I considered stupid. (This is what I thought back then. I may or may not still think these things!) But, we've returned to Branson a few times over the last 10 years ago.

Being there reminds me why I love it so much and less of why I didn't care for Branson.

It's where I...
...fell in love with Joseph
...started many lifetime friendships
...learned that the fastest way between two points is not a straight line
...lived the first year of marriage- okay not Branson but Hollister, but close enough
...learned that I really cannot do anything apart from Christ, yet he carries me through when I'm too into myself to rely solely on Him
...and lots of other silly, sappy things that make me love my husband more and value the relationships from college

My friend Renee coordinated several friends to meet in Branson and we were able to meet up with them this weekend. I am so bummed though, because I didn't take a single picture when I saw my old friends.

Dawn T invited us to stay with her (or the other way around). Her boys Colby, 5, and Sam, 3, played great together with our three kids. They played with Nurf guns non-stop. Literally.



We hiked through a park that few venture to enjoy. We called it Owensville as college kids because Mr. Owen and his boys built it, but now it has a much less significant name of Lakeside Forrest Wilderness Area. Next time you are in Branson you should go there. Our kids were just the right age (7, 5, 3)- any younger would have been difficult. We enjoyed the caves, the 315 stone steps, the water dripping from the rocks and visiting with friends. Here our Dawn's kids and our kids before we started the hike. Sam wasn't too interested in being in a picture!


Bobby and Colby decided this tree looked like a lion.


Here are Bobby, Ian, Colby T, and Corbin L. Here they are exploring a cave, like boys do so well.


On Sunday before we headed back to STL we stopped by College of the Ozarks. It's fun to go there because Joseph and I spent 4 years there. We walked hand in hand and joked about how quietly we were able to walk across campus 12 years ago.

This picture of Gini Lu just started with her legs dangling off the ledge, but then she started to be so silly and wanted to pose! This girl is quite the comedian!





Here's a message we would have left one another at C of O, but another couple beat us to it. Ahhh! How romantic! I can be seen from the upper floors of the nursing building.




On Saturday Dawn watched our kids for a few hours and we got to have a date. It was nice! Thanks Dawn! This picture is significant to us because there was a park here (or near here) and Joseph and I spent time here for the first time in 1995.


We went on a hike in the rain on some vacant land. It was fun. Love doing that stuff! Branson was a good reminder of how much I love being outside! So here is Joseph drenched from rain and sweat!


We took the kids to the Branson Landing on Sunday to see the Noon fire/water display of the Star-Spangled Banner. Loved it!


Here is their reaction to seeing the fire and water set to music. This is more spectacular at night- as I'm sure you can imagine. The overcast skies made it difficult to see that water but it was still fun.




Got to ride the trolley and the kids got to ring the bell.




My brother Bobby is here this week from China! So looking forward to seeing him. Will share pictures with you soon!

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Why didn't I know you went to College of the Ozarks. Fun piece of James family trivia. Glad you had a fun trip. See you soon!

Joe and Martha said...

Hey! I can't wait to show Joe maybe it will inspire him to let me make plans! What if we came up after the wedding Aug 23!!!